The Ultimate Guide : How Sales Tax Holidays Work For Shopify Store Owners
An Overview Of Shopify Sales Tax
Introduction To Shopify Sales Tax
From $75 billion in 2004 to $787.9 billion in 2022, US e-commerce sales revenue has increased dramatically since Shopify's launch. The industry has grown roughly five times in the last ten years.
In its 16 years of existence, Shopify has created over $496 billion in sales, and it is predicted that by 2022, the platform will have generated half a trillion dollars in sales. With this number in mind, you need to focus on the Shopify tax. This chapter will give you an overview of Shopify sales tax. Today, sales tax must be a key issue for Shopify sellers, just as it is for eBay, Amazon, Walmart, Etsy, and any other seller. The main distinction for Shopify is that it is not a marketplace intermediary. It won't do it for you, unlike some of the other platforms.
Shopify Sales Tax In The USYour first step should be to determine which states are relevant to you because each state has its own laws and regulations regarding sales tax levels and rates.
Figuring Out the Nexus States"Physical nexus" is exchanged for "economic nexus" by online retailers. Nexus thresholds now consider the kinds of activities important to e-commerce. List any states where you have the following to determine your nexus states:
- The clients (any at this stage, thresholds come next)
- storage facilities or inventory (including FBA if you use it for your Shopify orders)
- a physical company location or storefront (if applicable)
- Dropshipping associates
Does Shopify collect sales tax for you?You won't have your sales tax collected by Shopify. Because it is not a marketplace facilitator, it is not obligated to handle your sales tax collection and remittance. Amazon, eBay, and Walmart are a few examples of marketplace facilitators. These websites facilitate the transactions between sellers and customers who compete for business using the same storefront. These websites must now legally collect and remit sales tax on behalf of their sellers in some states, relieving individuals of that responsibility. This resulted from the launch of Amazon's sizable own-brand product selection, which was being sold without paying sales tax, as well as efforts to improve sales tax collection enforcement. States can hold a few websites responsible much more easily than millions of sellers. Sales tax is automatically added to any eligible shopping carts, collected by Amazon, and remitted for you if you are an Amazon seller in a state with marketplace facilitator rules. You never see that money, so you don't need to be concerned.
But Shopify is not a middleman in the market!You have complete tax collection duty in addition to having complete control over your store and the additional freedoms that go along with it. This article will help you understand your obligations and how to fulfill them because Shopify is not compelled by law to assist you. Every state in the US has its own Shopify tax rules and regulations. To have a clear view of the US Shopify sales tax, refer to the blog: Shopify Sales Tax: The Ultimate Guide In 2022
Understanding Shopify Sales Tax Holidays
Introduction to Shopify Sales Tax HolidaysA sales tax holiday is a brief period of time when certain typically-taxed goods are excluded from paying sales tax. Each year, about 17 states offer one or more sales tax holidays, while the exact number varies since some jurisdictions enact new holidays while others let old ones expire. Including Puerto Rico, there will be 20 states enjoying sales tax holidays in 2022. Sales tax holidays, however, can be problematic for online retailers. To put it another way, you require a sales tax holiday plan. While there are general sales tax holidays, the majority of states tend to focus their tax-free periods on one of the following themes:
- Return to school (specified clothing and school supplies)
- Preparing for emergencies (specified supplies to help taxpayers weather floods, hurricanes, and tornadoes)
- Green (specified energy-efficient products)
- Amendment No. 2 (specified ammunition, guns, and hunting supplies)
Example: Athletic uniforms, cosmetics, purses, jewelry, and wigs are exempt from sales tax in Arkansas, however, these items are still subject to tax in Connecticut and Iowa on their respective Shopify tax holidays. Tax-free periods are typically well-liked by customers, regardless of what is eligible for the temporary exemption. Since they promote shopping and increase sales, they are also popular with many business owners.
Which Goods Often Qualify For Sales Tax Breaks/ HolidaysA sales tax holiday is, in essence, what it sounds like. It is a time frame during which sales are tax-free. Back-to-school preparations and/or severe weather event readiness will frequently coincide with these holidays. Without a holiday and how it affects your customers and business, taxes are already complicated enough. So the first step to keeping things operating smoothly is to understand what a sales tax holiday is and what it means to you and your shop. The second and most crucial step is to apply this knowledge to the client experience that your online store provides. You must follow the framework and configuration settings of your e-commerce platform in order to accomplish this. Not all platforms are created equal, and the majority have different stances on particular demands.
The ScenarioWe will make the assumption that we are setting up the sales tax holiday in the great Buckeye State of Ohio in order to be as focused and helpful as possible. The State of Ohio's Sales Tax Holiday section has information about holiday sales taxes that you can read. It only applies to a very limited range of items that are free from sales and use taxes. These goods consist of:
- Clothing with a price of $75 or less per item
- School materials costing $20 per item or less
- school textbooks costing $20 per item or less.
Tax Overrides For ShopifyIf you opt to purchase the Shopify Plus edition, Shopify will calculate most state taxes automatically and has a seamless interaction. You must set up tax overrides if you plan to use the base offering and the exemptions.hould first put the tax-affected products into a collection before configuring a tax override. "Clothing priced at $75 per piece or less," for instance.
- Instead of manually doing the Shopify tax settings, you can have these products sorted by conditions.
- Once you've gathered your data, you can add a tax override by choosing the nation and state.
- In this instance, Ohio would be our choice.
- How To Manage Holidays For Sales Tax In Your Online Store surge in sales.
THE BENEFITS OF SHOPIFY SALES TAX HOLIDAYS
Where Do Shopify Sales Tax Holidays Apply?19 states have already celebrated yearly tax holidays in 2013, and at least two more are slated for Puerto Rico and Alabama in 2014, with the likelihood being high that the other states will follow suit. Wisconsin is debating whether to include a tax holiday this year. Tax holidays typically concentrate on a single retail sector; for instance, Alabama's holiday, which runs from February 21–23, 2014, is only applicable to things for weather preparation and isn't available everywhere. Tax holidays are available in many states to promote the purchase of eco-friendly or Energy Star products. August is when the majority of tax breaks occur, encouraging the buying of apparel and/or school supplies.
What Are The Benefits Of Shopify Sales Tax Holidays?So, were tax holidays a failure? It is obviously a negative balance if you are only looking at tax revenue. However, there might be a gain in revenue, particularly for states with high taxes like Massachusetts, where the 8th tax holiday in 2013 applied to almost any retail item under $2,500. It is challenging to locate accurate data on the economic boost that a holiday might offer in terms of more sales of non-tax-exempt goods, more workers needed to handle the larger customer turnout, and other advantages the tax exemption may bring. A Shopify sales tax holiday may boost sales, which is good news for retailers. Due to the added benefit of customers saving on taxes, many stores maintain their prices, although the National Federation of Independent Business, a group that advocates for small businesses, claims that retailers will profit more if they run specials and promotions during the tax holiday. Businesses must continually be aware of legislation and regulatory changes that may have an impact on compliance when there is a sales tax involved. Perhaps never has that been more accurate than at the time of COVID-19. Continue reading the next chapter to know about the impact of COVID on Shopify sales tax holidays.
Impact Of COVID On Shopify Sales Tax Holidays
How COVID Affected Shopify Sales Tax Holidays In Major Areas Of The USA
- The famed Freedom Week in Florida was very typical. It offered a full or partial exemption for eligible sales of tangible personal property, like the majority of tax-free periods do. However, it also offered a short-term exemption for annual park passes and admittance to some events and places.
- Tennessee extended its yearly sales tax holiday to restaurant food and drink in 2020 and again in 2021 after realizing that firms in the food industry were severely harmed by social-distancing policies. During the weeks of August 1–7, December 12–18, or May 15–21, 2022, qualifying "sellers of meals" in Connecticut may choose to retain the sales tax received on meals sold during those weeks.
- Additionally, New Mexico enabled specific restaurants and bars to keep the gross receipts taxes they had earned from customers over a four-month period, beginning with the tax returns that were due in late April 2021. Similar tax-free dining periods were under consideration in New York but were abandoned.
- In 2020, Puerto Rico offered a transitional sales tax exemption for personal protective equipment. Virginia went one step further and established an exemption for face masks and other PPE until further notice.
- For a unique group of its citizens—eligible members of the Nevada National Guard—Nevada created an annual sales tax holiday.
- Because of what states did during the pandemic, some tax experts predict that there will be even more sales tax breaks in the future at other times of the year.
2022 Shopify Sales Tax Holidays Calender
Shopify Sales Tax Holidays Calendar 2022
Preparedness for severe weather, February 25–27, 2022
- portable generators costing little more than $1,000
- Various goods costing $60 or less
15–17 July 2022: First day of class$30 or less for books
- $100 or less for clothing
- Priced at $750 or less, computers, computer software, and school computer supplies
- $50 or less for school supplies
August 6-7, 2022, sales tax holiday
- less than $100 worth of clothing
- Accessories and equipment for clothing under $50, including jewelry and cosmetics.
- electronic apparatuses (no price restriction)
- school equipment (no price restriction)
- relates to local and state sales taxes
Children's books, May 14–August 14, 2022
- Disaster preparedness, May 28–June 10, 2022
- Event tickets and recreation equipment, July 1–7, 2022
- Children's diapers; baby clothes and footwear, July 1, 2022–June 30, 2023
- Energy Star appliances, July 1, 2022–June 30, 2023
- Impact-resistant windows, doors, and garage doors, July 1, 2022–June 30, 2024
- Back to school, July 25–August 7, 2022
- Tools, September 3–9, 2022
- The gas tax holiday, October 1–31, 2022
March 18, 2022 – July 14, 2022: Gas tax holiday
- All fuels subject to the Georgia motor fuel excise tax are exempt from the state's motor fuel excise tax.
- The suspension of vehicle gasoline excise taxes was initially scheduled to end on May 31, 2022, but Governor Kemp extended it to July 14, 2022.
August 5-6, 2022, clothing and shoes
- under $100 for eligible products
- relates to local and state sales taxes
August 5-7, 2022, sales tax holiday
- $75 or less for clothing
- Priced at $20 or less are school supplies
- $20 or less for school supplies
- relates to local and state sales taxes; participation is required
August 5-8, 2022: First day of classes
- clothes and shoes costing no more than $125
- $500 or less for computers (laptop or tablet).
- Priced at $20 or less are school supplies
- $50 or less for school supplies
- $150 or less for sporting goods
- relates to municipal and state sales and use taxes; participation is required
The additional States Could Offer Shopify Sales Tax Holidays In 2022Instead of offering an annual sales tax holiday, some states pass one-time tax-free occasions. Up until a few years ago, Massachusetts didn't have a periodic tax-free month.
Final Key Takeaways
Let’s Recall Some Of The Key Points
Sales tax holidays were initially designed to promote retail activity and offer savings on necessities like school supplies and emergency supplies. But in today's environment, sales tax exemptions are commonly extended to internet purchases as well.
- When some regularly taxable items are exempt from paying sales tax for a certain period of time, this is known as a sales tax holiday. The actual number varies since some jurisdictions adopt new holidays while others let existing ones expire, but around 17 states give one or more sales tax holidays each year. In 2022, 20 states—including Puerto Rico—will have sales tax holidays.
- Sales tax exemptions are advantageous to both the vendor and the buyer, but they are challenging to monitor while conducting remote sales.
- Make sure you are familiar with the rules everywhere your company is obligated to gather and send sales tax. Information on the individual sales tax holidays in each state is available on the websites of those departments of revenue.
- The good news for merchants is that a Shopify sales tax holiday may increase sales. Although the National Federation of Independent Business, a group that supports small businesses, asserts that retailers will profit more if they run specials and promotions during the tax holiday, many stores retain their prices due to the added benefit of customers saving on taxes.
Shopify: Do I have to collect sales tax in every state?Doing Shopify tax settings is swiftly and completely explained in the Shopify Tax Manual. Remember, multi-channel sellers, that any channel you use to sell on must allow you to collect sales tax from customers in the states where you have sales tax nexus.
Do tax-free weekends always apply to Shopify?You should choose to buy the Shopify Plus edition because it will automatically do the Shopify tax calculation for the majority of states. You must set up tax overrides if you plan to use the base offering and the exemptions.
On Shopify's tax-free weekend, how can I turn off sales tax?Go to Customers in your Shopify admin. Locate the consumer whose taxes you want to waive, then click their name. Click Manage in the Tax options section. Do not select Collect tax.
Free 30-Min Strategy Session
You Run The Business. We Help You Minimize Your Tax Bill And Settle Your Bookkeeping.